My Blog List

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Houston's Poem

Last Christmas while I was pregnant with my second son, I received a gift. This gift was entrusted to me, until I was able to give it to my unborn child. It was carefully wrapped in brilliant gold wrapping paper. The wrapping job might have been a bit clumsy, but it had been wrapped with love.

I carefully unwrapped the small rectangle gift. Inside there was a small picture frame. But the frame was insignificant compared to what it held inside. As my eyes fell to the surface of the frame, they teared up as I saw what was inside. It was a simple poem. Jeff had written it, for his unborn son. It reads:

I Cannot Wait

Tick Tock! Tick Tock! The time is near.
In a few days you’ll soon be here.
Excitement builds with extreme joy.
Soon I’ll meet my new baby boy.
I cannot wait until we meet.
I cannot wait to tickle your feet
I cannot wait to hold you tight
I cannot wait to stay up all night
I cannot wait to hear you laugh
I cannot wait to teach you math
I cannot wait to dry your tears
I cannot wait to confront your fears
I cannot wait to see your looks
I cannot wait to read you books
I cannot wait to play with my boys
I cannot wait to fix your toys
I cannot wait for you to meet your brother
I cannot wait for you to hug your mother
I cannot wait to be your caddie
I cannot wait to be your DADDY!

Of all the gifts that I received and gave that year, this is the one that stands tall among all others. Because although this gift was not for me, it was still precious and valuable to me. It showed me what a wonderful man my husband was. I had picked someone who would love me with all his heart, but he would be a man who embraced fatherhood. This child had already captured his heart, and he was not even born yet.

Now my son is eight months old. He smiles and laughs. He wiggles and crawls. He is growing and flourishing with the love from his Mama, Brother, and most of all his Daddy!


1 comment:

  1. How sweet! I was almost tearing up a little. He needs to show that softer side a little more. Thanks for sharing us and letting us get to know Jeff even better. What a great man!

    ReplyDelete